Education and Training Opportunities
The Department of Pediatrics and the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Council encourage faculty and staff to take advantage of educational opportunities offered through the department and the Office of Equity and Diversity at the University of Minnesota.
This training is required for department chair and vice chairs, division chiefs, fellowship directors, and resident selection committee members. This workshop will expose participants to the breadth of implicit bias research and will help them recognize short cuts that are the result of unconscious or unexamined bias. Participants will learn best practices and resources for addressing implicit bias in the context of faculty search committees.
Offered by the Office for Equity and Diversity, this program helps participants develop tools necessary for advancing equity and diversity in all aspects of their personal and professional lives. It is free of charge and open to students, faculty, and staff on all campuses of the University of Minnesota.
focuses on some of the challenges that trainees from minority and underserved groups as well as other faculty whose research is addressing health equity may face. A new cohort of HELM fellows is selected annually to participate in the program.
Grand Rounds Presentations on Diversity
- "More than "Diversity 101": A Snapshot of our Department and Being an Ally" by Catherine Bendel, MD and Anne Phibbs, PhD
- "A Structured Mentor Mother Program for Child HIV Prevention in Rural Nigeria: The WHO INSPIRE MoMent Study" by Nadia Sam-Agudu, MD
- "Understanding Gender Nonconformity in Children and Adolescents" by Robert Garofalo, MD, MPH
- "#TinyBlackLivesMatter: Dismantling Structural Racism and Supporting Black Lives" by Rachel R. Hardeman, PhD, MPH
- "Race, Racism, and Medicine" by Stephen Nelson, MD
- "Structural Factors and Inequities in Maternal and Infant Health" by Rachel Hardeman, PhD, MPH
- "Healthcare for All: the Case for Single-Payer" by Brian Yablon, MD